Home Gallery World War II Personal Cosmos Ball Family Christmas 1999 Y2K Arrives A '60s Party for Ann Opinion



My Grandmother Clayton, her four sons, and her daughter. They had settled in Essex, Missouri, and the children were orphaned in 1898, sent to a Masonic Home in St. Louis, and - for the most part - prospered as good citizens and parents in the 20th century










Claud Franklin Clayton (1890-1968) as editor of the college yearbook at the University of Missouri. He was a Phi Beta Kappa student majoring in Economics, although Philosophy and History were major interests. He went on to serve in senior capacities with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the TVA. He founded the Department of Agricultural Economics at the University of the Philippines in Manila.








My mother, LaReine Warden (1894-1993), with her adored brother, Hu, who was in combat in the First World War, but whose heart was damaged during the great influenza epidemic and died as a relatively young man, leaving a wife and two sons.







All who knew my mother recognized her to be a remarkable woman. She was highly intelligent, testing at the genius level. With beautiful red hair, she was an excellent bridge player and could paint, harmonize, play the piano, cook, do light carpentry, sew (she made all our clothes when my sister and I were young), dance, ride horseback, and help young men through school. She ran a kindergarten, served as a buyer for a legendary Washington merchant, was the author of two books, had articles published in historical journals when she was in her nineties, was a co-chairman with Eleanor Roosevelt for Bundles for Britain during the war, served on the Arlington County Gas Rationing Board and as a "Grey Lady" at Bethesda Naval Hospital taking care of veterans back from the terrible jungle warfare in Guadalcanal. A member of the D.A.R. and an officer in Colonial Dames, she was a leader in society wherever she lived. She had few equals and no superiors. A very great lady.



My Uncle George Oscar Baker (1882-1948) was my mother's half-brother, born of my grandmother's previous marriage. She was a widow when Granddaddy talked her into marrying him.  Uncle George was a first rate painter, studying in Italy, France, and the Netherlands while supporting himself as a popular cartoonist. He painted in oils and achieved success in art exhibitions in Europe and the United States. He became Art Director for J. Walter Thompson and was written up by the New York Times. He later founded the Art Guild or the Artists Guild (I'm not sure which) dedicated to finding commercial sponsors for young artists. He and my Aunt Dorothy were very kind to me when I stayed with them in their Manhattan apartment  to visit the World's Fair in 1939. Uncle George had a waxed moustache and wore spats! The only man I ever knew to wear them.




Mary Elizabeth (Doolittle)  Clayton (1924-1983) and 
John S. Clayton, Sr. on their wedding day, June 19, 
1948. They were married in St. Patrick's Episcopal 
Church in Washington, D.C. The picture was taken 
at her parent's home in Foxhall Village. Mary and
John had met in High School and gone together 
since they were sixteen. She graduated from George 
Washington University while he was overseas in 
World War II.






Mary and John moved to Chapel Hill, N.C. where he 
began a twenty year association with the University 
of North Carolina. Mary was secretary to the Dean of 
Student Affairs, and both she and her husband were 
active in the community. Their three children are (left 
to right): Susan Sears (b. November 25, 1956), John, 
Jr. (b. July 3, 1953), and Elizabeth Ann (b. January 31,
1951).The three children are now married and living in 
the Washington Metropolitan area.



Following the death of Mary, John married Jutta 
(Sprenger) Salinas, and "inherited" three sons, 
(from left to right), Salomon, Max, and Andres, each 
of whom is now married with children of his own. 
Between them, John and Jutta have ten grandchildren! 
Taken on their wedding day, January 6, 1984.




Jutta (Sprenger) Clayton was born in Berlin, Germany,
  April 28, 1940. After the war was over, Berlin was 
divided and Jutta and her parents found themselves 
living in what was now called East Berlin. She was a 
fine student and was studying to be a chemist when 
she met and married a young diplomat and went to 
live in his country, Nicaragua, where her three sons 
were born. Discovering that she did not like Nicaragua nor love her husband led to many changes and her becoming the beloved "Oma" (German for
  Grandmother) to the many grandchildren she and John share.




Jutta with her Certificate of Citizenship!















On a recent cruise to Alaska (1999). 
We prefer the longer cruises, rather than the 
island hopping, off-the-boat-on-the boat hassles 
on some trips. These big modern cruise ships 
offer all the advantages of a big city with none 
of the parking problems, and a much reduced 
risk of being mugged! We like it!




John Clayton, Sr. with his gorgeous sister, Betty Virginia, 
c. 1940, at their parent's home in Arlington, Virginia. She 
married a handsome young officer in the Air Force just 
before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and we joined 
a world at war. Wilton Osborn went to the European theater, 
first in North Africa, ending as a Colonel. After the war, he 
got his degree in engineering from Lehigh University, and
 accepted a position at Oak Ridge, Tennessee, where a lot 
of very bright people were working on nuclear energy. 
There, he and my sister built a home, raised their son, Chip, 
and kept an eye on my parents in Knoxville. 



Jutta and her 3 sons,
Salo, Max, Andres. 1999.